Monday, March 25, 2013

Red Lantern & Lobster Rangoons

One restaurant/lounge that I love here in Boston is Red Lantern. It opened probably about a year ago in The Back Bay. Their duck buns are probably one of the best things I've ever eaten and don't even get me started on their lobster & bacon fried rice! I was super excited when I was walking out of there one night and came across a recipe card sitting on a table for Lobster Rangoons.


Now, call me stupid but I always kind of assumed one needed a deep fryer in order to deep fry. On the other hand, maybe I was being ignorant on purpose so I wouldn't subject myself to fried food every night. Anyways, once I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. And guess what? It was much easier than I thought!


The recipe calls for Japanese Tonkatsu (katsu) sauce which can be hard to find. Most supermarkets don't carry it. Luckily, I already had some in my fridge because I lovvveee chicken katsu and I always make sure to have some on hand just in case. The only place I've been able to find it is at the Hong Kong Supermarket in Allston (on Commonwealth Ave after passing by Boston University).  While you're there, do some exploring...you never know what you'll find there! To be honest though, you could probably get away without using any of the katsu sauce and the rangoons would still taste fine as it just adds a slight flavor.

I would highly suggest this recipe to anyone! Just make sure you don't burn the rangoons. I found it really helpful to use a thermometer since I didn't have a deep fryer.


No comments:

Post a Comment