Monday, October 26, 2015

Whirlwindy Trip to The Windy City

After booking a day trip to Chicago, I kind of regretted it. I've been exhausted lately and I just wanted to sleep all weekend. Being up for 23 hours straight did not sound like my idea of fun. I may have cancelled if it wasn't for wanting pizza.

This past Saturday, Drew and I landed in Chicago at 8:15 AM and hopped on the orange line to head downtown; super easy by the way. By the time we got there we were starving and wanted a good breakfast. It was raining at the time so we didn't want to go far. The nearest and best looking place was Wildberry Pancakes & Cafe. It had a 45 minute wait but Millennium Park was right across the street and the restaurant said they would text us when our table was ready.


Apparently, the restaurant ended up losing our place in line and we ended up waiting almost an hour and a half. I was extremely annoyed, especially considering we only had so much time in the city. They should have given us a free meal or something. The food ALMOST made up for it though. I had the most delicious red velvet french toast which was essentially three slices of cake turned french toast. 


By the time we finished breakfast, the rain had cleared and we walked to The Magnificent Mile. For the most part, there weren't any stores that aren't in Boston except for maybe Top Shop. We ended up walking until we reached the John Hancock Tower and we decided to head up to The Signature Lounge for a drink. I don't think I've ever been somewhere quite like it. Sure, I've been to other observatories but none where you can have a drink by the window! Even the views from the restroom were gorgeous. I just wish I had known about Tilt beforehand because I would have loved that!


Once we got back down to Michigan Ave, it was already 3pm. We did a little shopping and then walked to Lou Malnati's for deep dish pizza, the reason I wanted to visit Chicago in the first place. Omg...it was the best pizza ever..seriously life changing!! The tomatoes were fresh, the cheese stringy, and the crust crisp, not at all heavy and saturated like the deep dish pizzas from Uno's. I'm seriously considering paying the $60.00 to have two pizzas shipped to my home


After dinner, we headed back towards the Loop and were planning on grabbing dessert somewhere. However, I stumbled across Garrett's Popcorn Shop which I kind of wanted to try as well and bought a small tin of Garrett's mix to bring home. The combination of caramel and cheese is sooo good! Once we exited the shop, we saw the orange line and decided on heading back to the airport for our 8:50 pm flight and just grabbing dessert there. Boring, I know.


We got back home at around 1:30 am and I slept almost the entire day on Sunday. Even though I was and still am exhausted, I'm glad we ended up going for only the day. It was the perfect amount of time and quite honestly, if I had stayed any longer, I would have just gone back to Lou Malnati's for every single meal. So that's my trip to Chicago in 12.5 hours, 7.35 miles and 18,482 steps. Somehow, I still don't think I burned off enough calories to make up for that breakfast, let alone dinner #foodielife!

No comments:

Post a Comment